Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Notes on a Vietnamese Engagement

As a little girl, I had seen the traditional Vietnamese engagement, but I knew going through it was going to be a different experience altogether. Paul, being Hispanic, made things even more unique because as he and his family gathered every gift, the meaning behind the ceremony came in to question. As both sides of each party prepared for the tea ceremony, we all felt the weight of this step we were about to take as a couple. Never before had I been able to fully appreciate and fall in love with the beauty of this tradition, and now I am so happy to hold memories of this occasion close to my heart. 

about the ceremony

the gifts wrapped in red cellophane 

the fruits

the betel leaves & areca fruit

click here for the Story of the betel leaf and the areca nut 


No comments:

Post a Comment